Don’t be misled. This recipe looks like it has a lot of ingredients. When I see a list this long, I often just move along.
But stick around! You don’t want to miss this simple dish. Five of the ingredients are spices — and you probably have most of them. If you are missing one, go ahead and leave one out. It will still be good (although if you leave out the turmeric you won’t get the pretty yellow color.)
There are basically three steps between you and a new Indian-spiced veggie dish.
- Cut up three veggies.
- Toss with coconut milk, spices, raisins and, if desired, nuts.
This recipe makes a large amount – at least 6-8 big servings. You can easily cut it in half — but then you would end up with half a celery root left and what are you going to do with that? Just make it all and enjoy it for a few days. I ate it hot, room temperature and straight out of the fridge. All were good.
Cubed Rutabaga Trio
Rutabaga, 2 (about 3 cups, cubed)
Celery root, 1 (about 2 cups, cubed)
Cauliflower, 1 head (about 2-3 cups, chopped)
Coconut oil, ¼ cup
Coconut milk, ½ cup
Cumin, ½ teaspoon
Turmeric, ½ teaspoon
Coriander, ½ teaspoon
All spice, ½ teaspoon
Ginger, ½ teaspoon
Raisins, ½ cup
Walnuts or cashews, ½ cup
Salt to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Chop all veggies (rutabaga, celery root and cauliflower) into small cubes, about 1 cm square.
- Toss together with oil.
- Split veggies between two baking trays so you can fit them all. Place trays in the oven for 35-40 minutes, until veggies are soft but not mushy.
- Put all veggies into a big bowl and let cool slightly.
- Add coconut milk and cumin, turmeric and coriander, all spice, ginger, salt, raisins and nuts.
- Mix well and enjoy.